Monday, April 22, 2013

"Works" is Not a Four-Letter Word

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works,
which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:10

Just try to bring up the topic of works in your Bible group and see what happens.  At the mention of works, most believers bring up Ephesians 2:8-9 faster than Buffy raises a cross to ward off vampires. Now don't get me wrong. I am so thankful that we don't have to depend upon our works for salvation.Nothing that I have done (or ever will do) could earn me a place in heaven. I have faith that I am saved by the grace of God, who sent His son, Jesus Christ, to die for my sin.

My concern is that, despite the number of times that I have heard Ephesians 2:8-9 quoted by Christians, I rarely hear verse 10 mentioned. We all agree that works has nothing to do with salvation, but once saved, where do works fit in?  According to Paul, we were created to do good works and to walk in them.  That word "walk" is the same word used to command us to "walk" by faith.

It would seem that walking by faith and walking in good works go hand in hand according to Paul.  He is not alone in this belief. James tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:17).  That isn't a statement that would go over well in most of the small group studies that I have attended.  Surely James can't have meant that a lack of godly works a person's life might mean that they have a phony faith, could he?  That certainly doesn't sound like it belongs to the feel-good, don't-put-anyone-under- conviction philosophy that I've been hearing in most American churches.

Think about it.  When was the last time that you were challenged to refine your spiritual disciplines like fasting, daily personal devotions, or real sacrificial giving.  When was the last time that you even heard the expression "spiritual disciplines?" Face it, we've become spiritual couch potatoes who would much rather throw a little money at others who are doing good works (like Operation Christmas Child or the Red Cross) than to have to get our hands dirty by actually doing the work.

A growing, vibrant faith will compel us to do good works; and as we move further outside our comfort zone to do more and more ministry, our faith will flourish.  I challenge you to get of that (figurative) couch and start looking around at the ministry opportunities that God has already placed around you.  If you have trouble seeing one, just ask about helping out in the children's department at church.  There is always a shortage of willing workers there.

The funny thing about doing good works is that you often go into it thinking that you will make others happy and finding out that you were the one who got the greatest blessing after all.

2 comments:

  1. Great point! I just love to read you! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ephesians 2 vs. 10 is never discussed in my small group discussions either. Works of love, fruit bearing, walking in the light as he is in the light, etc., must fit in somehow, somewhere in our Christian walk!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Maybe someone needs to come up with a better definition of what Faith really constitutes!
    I don't like to pick and choose my scriptures just to prove a doctrine or dogma. I believe we should try to understand everything God's Word has to say about a specific subject to fully understand His will.

    I will continue to follow your blog for further Bible study.

    ReplyDelete